Travel Nurse Pay Calculator
Travel Nurse Pay Breakdown
Here we break down your travel nurse pay based on the numbers you input.
Overtime pay is state mandated and dictates how much a staffing agency must pay for every hour worked over 40 in a given week. It’s important to note that overtime pay only works against your taxable base rate (not your rate + your travel stipend).
Most facilities do not offer guaranteed hours over the holidays, meaning, they don’t have to pay you if they ask you to not work a holiday. Here are some things to keep in mind:
1. You may end up working less than your contracted hours for the week in which a holiday falls if a facility doesn’t need you to come in.
2. If you are asked to work, you will be paid a holiday rate – which usually works out to time and a half. Which is based off our taxable hourly rate (not your hourly rate + stipend).
3. If your contract outlines a specific number of “call-off” shifts – holidays are usually not included. Meaning, it won’t be counted against the facility if they chose to not have you work on a holiday.
4. Most healthcare facilities recognize the following days as holidays: New Years Day, Labor Day, Independence Day, Memorial Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day.
Your contract will state whether your contracted hours are guaranteed. Many times, a facility will be allowed to cancel a certain number of shifts per contract, without paying the nurse for hours missed. Your contract will be specific about this. For example: “Facility may cancel up to 3 shifts during the 13-week contract”. If you have this in writing, and the facility cancels more than “3 shifts” then you will be paid for the missed shifts. In this instance, you will be paid your standard hourly rate + your stipend for shifts you were asked to miss.
If however, you call in sick, or call out of shift – you will not be reimbursed for time missed.
There are few exceptions to guaranteed hours and it’s best to speak to your recruiter about them. In brief, they include:
A facility generally does not offer guaranteed hours during:
• Any week that has a holiday in it