In the busy world of nursing, who has the energy to come home after a long shift and stand (STAND?!!) in front of a stove for another couple hours? Not us! That’s why we’ve compiled this list of recipes, with 5 ingredients or less, that take 30 minutes or less to prepare. And what would an article filled with recipes be worth if all the food was bland and boring? So, we tested these ourselves and can attest: they are scrumdillyicious. Hope you enjoy! 1. Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili With a splash of store-bought salsa, this chili is an incredibly easy, and tasty way to end the day. Bonus if you happen to have an onion, black beans, a sweet potato, veggie stock and salsa on hand – you won’t even need to go to the store.
2. Lemon Chicken with Asparagus Lemon pepper, a key ingredient in this recipe (and what gives the chicken a bright, lemony flavor) may be a tad hard to find at your local grocery store. But it’s super easy to make by combining equal parts fresh lemon zest and ground pepper.
3. Honey Teriyaki Salmon This intense sweet and savory flavor combination comes together in less than 20 minutes and pairs super well over rice or veggies, or is just as good all on its own.
4. Chipotle Chicken Taquitos Did someone say Chipotle? Make these super simple taquitos (which can be baked or fried) at home with just 5 simple ingredients. Check your fridge for any greens or sauces you might have on hand to throw on top for a truly satisfying meal. Lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, olives, onions, sour cream, cheese, salsa, all make good combinations.
5. Caprese Chicken Balsamic syrup may be hard to find (usually in the vinegar section of your local grocery store) but is super easy to make simply by pouring ½ a cup of balsamic vinegar into a pan, and boiling it until it reduces by half and becomes thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Totally worth it for this flavorful chicken.
6. Pasta with Tomato Confit, Basil and Garlic Who’s in the mood for a satisfying bowl of delicious pasta. Don’t be intimidated by the name “tomato confit” as it simply means slowly cooking tomatoes, basil and garlic together in oil for a delicious round-up of flavors, perfect for throwing over your favorite pasta.
7. Sheet Pan Pesto Chicken and Vegetables These days you can find pre-made pesto in the same aisle as spaghetti sauce. While we love the flavor of homemade pesto, we’ve found the taste difference not worth the time it takes to make it from scratch, and simply not an option after a long day on the floor. This recipe also calls for chicken thighs and drumsticks – but feel free to use whatever your favorite chicken parts are.
8. Baked Potato Soup This is one of our absolute favorites and so easy! Can you say: frozen hash browns? That’s one of the key timesaving ingredients. Yes please! Highly recommend grabbing a bowl full of this deliciousness, plopping down on the couch under your favorite blanket and curling up to binge on a couple Netflix episodes. No need for the dining table for this meal.
9. Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken If you’re in the mood for sticky chicken thighs coated in an amazing combination of soy sauce, spices and dark brown sugar – then you’ve come to the right place. If you can’t find dark brown sugar at your local grocery store – light brown will honestly work just as well.
10. White Chicken Chili The folks who invented this recipe must have had nurses in mind. With store bought salsa and rotisserie chicken, this meal literally goes from stove to table in less than 15 minutes.
11. Smoked Sausage Cajun Alfredo This recipe should come with a warning! Hot! Hot! Hot! But gosh-darned delicious. If you’re not looking for something super spicy but would still like the flavor – cut the Cajun seasoning down to 2 teaspoons. You’ll get just enough flavor without the intense mouth explosions. LOL. We learned the hard way.
And that's our round-up! Do you have any recipes you'd like to share? Let us know in the comments section below! We're thinking of doing a regular recipe round-up and would love to feature some tried and true nurse recipes!